Faculty Documentation: Resources
This video includes:
- How to create folders in resources
- How to upload files other resources
- Moving and deleting files
You can think of Resources as a filing cabinet for your course. You can place materials (Powerpoints, readings, lecture notes, videos, etc.) into folders, which allows your students to go into the folders and pull out the specific materials you need.
1. The iLearn Resources Tool can be used to upload course related information files.
2. The Resources Tool is course-dependent.
Recommendations for Using Resources
TIME SAVER TIP #1: Organize your files in Resources into folders that correspond to each Lesson Module or unit in your course (e.g. place files from Unit 1 in a Unit 1 folder in Resources, files from Unit 2 into a Unit 2 folder, etc.).
TIME SAVER TIP #2: Schedule when folders/files should be "shown to" and "hidden from" students ahead of time so that you don't need to remember to do this each week. Hidden files or folders appear grey.
IMPORTANT: If you link to a file in Resources from a page in Lessons, the Resources folder will need to be set to "show" in order for the link to be active to students. If you don't have to control access to the files, you may find it more convenient to "show" your folders and files by default to avoid having to change settings during the semester.
TIME SAVER TIP #3: You can quickly reorganize content in your Resources area by using the "Move" option.
Adding Files to Resources
1. Access the Resources Tool and select Create Folders from the Add drop down menu.
2. If you are adding content that you will link to from Lessons, create a new folder with a name that corresponds to a specific Lesson Module (Unit 1 content in a Unit 1 folder, Unit 2 content in a Unit 2 folder, etc.).
4. You have two options: Drag and drop files from your desktop into the box or click Drop files here to upload and select a file you wish to upload.
NOTE: You are able to add more than one file at a time.
5. Once you have selected the required file or files to be uploaded, click the Continue button to upload.
6. You can also drag and drop files/folders in a zip format. A zip file will be unpacked automatically into a folder of the same name.
a) Folders to be uploaded are required to be zipped or selected as a group to be uploaded. A folder and its contents cannot be uploaded without being zipped.
b) When a zipped file is uploaded, it automatically creates a nested folder with the same name as the zipped file. When multiple document files are selected for upload, they will display directly in the folder.
Managing Files and Folders
Topic 1: Replacing or Updating Files in Resources
If you simply need to replace an existing file in Resources with a new version of the file, it is best to use the Upload New Version option. This way, the file name and link remains the same.
1. Locate the file in Resources that you wish to replace or update.
2. From the "Actions" drop down menu associated with the file, select the Upload New Version option.
3. Select the new version of the file from your computer and click the Upload New Version Now button.
4. This will replace the original file in Resources with the new version from your computer.
IMPORTANT: When uploading a file to Resources that has the same file name of a file already in Resources, the new file will be automatically renamed with the numeral "1" appended to the end of the file name. This is done to avoid accidentally overwriting the original file.
Topic 2: URLs may be shortened for easier management and access.
1. Select Edit Details from the Action drop down menu for the folder or file.
2. Scroll down to the "Web Address (URL)" section and check the Short URL checkbox for shorter URL to access.
1. Click the Action button next to the file or folder you want to move into the new folder, and then click the Move link.
2. A clipboard icon ( ) will appear next to each folder. Click the clipboard icon associated with the new folder and all of the files/folders you checked off will be moved into it.
Topic 4: Copying Files from one Resource Folder to Another
1. Check off the box next to the files or folder you want to move into the new folder and then click the Copy link at the top of Resources.
2. A clipboard icon () will appear next to each folder. Click the clipboard icon associated with the new folder and all of the files/folders you checked off will be moved into it.
Topic 5: Scheduling Resources to "Show/Hide" For Students
1. Select Edit Details from the Action drop down menu for the folder or file you wish to schedule.
2. Scroll down to the "Additional Access" section, and select Show this item or Hide this item.
3. Select the date and time in the From section the folder or file will be "shown" or "hidden" from students.
4. Then select the date and time in the Until section when the folder and file will be "shown" or "hidden" from students.
NOTE: If you do not need to hide the content after it becomes available to the students, simply select the Show this item option and leave the "From" and "Until" options unchecked.
WARNING: Do NOT change permissions in the Resources tool. If you think you want to change the permissions for resources, please contact Academic Technology at (845) 575-3836.
WARNING: You can hide/unhide individual files. It is highly recommended that you do NOT hide an individual file within a folder that is marked as "Show".
Topic 6: Check Quota
Each site has a quota of 1GB storage when it is created. If you have a lot of files in your Resources and worry that you may run out of space, you can click the "Check Quota" button to find out how much quota you have used.
NOTE: Please contact the Digital Education office if you have questions about the quota of your site.