Webex At Marist
Marist College has access to the web conferencing platform: WebEx. This application works similarly to our existing platform, Zoom. Each platform allows you to video conference with your colleagues, students, and faculty while also available for your use from your iLearn course site.
Follow these steps to learn more about WebEx at Marist College:
And don't forget to add the Webex tool to your iLearn site! Here is how: https://ilearn.marist.edu/portal/help/TOCDisplay/content.hlp?docId=howdoiaddtoolstomysite
Cisco Webex Training Videos
Webex Training Videos
Marist WebEx Direct Link
Follow the links below to access WebEx yourself
More WebEx Tips and Tricks
WebEx - Video Conference and Webinar Best Practice Tips for Facilitating or Participating in an Online Meeting
1. Computer and Browser compatibility - Be sure your computer and browser is up-to-date to avoid any technical difficulties. We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to connect.
You can view minimum system requirements for using WebEx here: https://help.webex.com/en-us/nki3xrq/Webex-Meetings-Suite-System-Requirements
2. Plug-in Updates - You may need to update plug-ins. If your meeting does not seem to be launching, keep an eye out for any pop-ups or alerts that suggest an update or install.
3. Test WebEx and your connection in Advance - Test our system ahead of time. Anyone (Attendees, panelists, etc.) can test their system here: http://www.webex.com/test-meeting.html
4. Begin Early - Be sure to begin your meeting 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. This will allow you time to avoid any technical difficulties and to prepare for your session.
5. Alternative Method of Communication - Make sure you have another way to reach the session host or presenter so that you can communicate if you are experiencing technical difficulties.
1. Connect your audio - You can use the computer speakers and microphone or the dial-in number.
2. Using computer audio - We recommend using a headphone/microphone combo set. Built-in speakers and microphones are usually of poor quality and not recommended as they can cause sound issues such as feedback and echoes.
3. Speak normally - Speak normally and clearly. Always face towards the microphone. Turning from side to side will fade your sound and reduce audio quality for attendees.
4. Using Video - Make sure you are dressed in solid colors and dress for the occasion, as if meeting in person. Be sure your room is well lit so that attendees can clearly see you. Maintain eye contact with the camera to convey attention and engagement. Be conscious of your body language and how it might look on camera to others.
1. Can you hear me? - Ask your attendees if they can hear you clearly before you begin.
2. Introduce yourself - If you are not using video, it can be difficult to tell who is speaking. State your name before you speak to avoid this issue.
3. Avoid extraneous sounds and echoes - If possible, connect to the meeting in a quiet, private location to avoid external disruptions. Avoid typing or shuffling papers and items while your mic is on as these sounds will be transmitted through your microphone.
4. Mute your microphone if you are not speaking - If you are not speaking, mute your microphone and ask that all attendees do the same. This will reduce the amount of background sounds and sound interruptions the presenter may experience.
Start a WebEx meeting now!
Invite a colleague to try out WebEx Meetings with you. You'll see how easy it is to share documents, audio, and video.
1. Go to https://facstaff-marist.webex.com
2. Sign in using your Marist account and password.
3. Go to Meetings in the left navigation pane and Click the Schedule a Meeting link.
4. Enter the Meeting Topic and Set Date and Time. Invite colleagues - Separate addresses with a comma or semicolon.
5. Click Start to begin your meeting.
1. Audio Conference: Connect using your computer's audio system (VoIP). You can also dial-in using the phone number provided.
2. Share Video: Click the camera icon to allow others to see you.
3. Share my Desktop: Share files, applications, or videos. Present anything on your computer's desktop.
4. Record: Record the meeting including the audio, video, and presentation for sharing later.
5. Chat: Start a conversation with anyone in the meeting.
6. Adjust your View: Grab the vertical bar in the middle of your meeting window to resize the panels you'd like.
7. Pass the ball: Just grab the ball and drop it next to your name in the Participants panel.
8. Mute/Unmute: Hosts can mute anyone.
Host Your Meeting
Start the Meeting
1. Click the Start button in your email invitation.
2. Or Sign in to https://facstaff-marist.webex.com and click on Meetings. Select your desired meeting from the list.
3. Then click the Start button, and your meeting will begin.
This video includes:
- Scheduling a WebEx meeting outside of iLearn
- Invite attendees to your WebEx meeting
- Launch a WebEx meeting
Webex and Zoom
Marist College offers two video web conferencing software applications for you to use to communicate, collaborate, and work with students. Select the one that is right for you!