Faculty Documentation: Lessons Tool Basics
This video includes:
- Various options for creating and building the Lessons page.
- Different sections for adding content like resources, files, links, student assessments, and engagements.
- Adding text, content links, and embedding content to the page.
The Lessons tool is used to deliver primary course content (e.g. lectures, active learning modules, etc.). It allows faculty to customize the interface and structure of the content for students and provides a streamlined learning path for the course content.
Faculty can add text, assignments, tests, resources, links, images, discussion forums and other media to a central location by using the action buttons at the top of the page.
NOTE: The Lessons tool is a sophisticated tool that allows the instructor more flexibility and customization. This document covers basic functions of this tool. Please contact the Help Desk if you would like a consultation on advanced features and sample user cases.
Sample Lessons Page
1. Lessons page title
2. Lesson menu bar (click to see the action buttons)
3. Text content with green background on a Lessons page which occupies 2/3 of this horizontal section
4. Image with transparent background embedded on a Lessons page which occupies 1/3 of this horizontal section
5. Word document linked on the page
6. Forum topic linked on the page with detailed description
7. Assignment linked on the page with brief description
8. Quick question with blue background
9. Subpage linked on the page
Adding Content in a Lessons Page
1. Click the Add Content drop-down menu on the top of the page
2. Click on any of the action buttons to add files, links, and media to the page.
The following is a list of typical types of content that can be added to a Lessons tool page:
1. Text content (using Rich Text Editor)
2. Existing files from the Resources tool
3. Other tools in the same course site (Assignments, Forums, and Tests & Quizzes)
4. External resources (external websites, YouTube videos and PDFs can be linked or embedded on the page)
5. Other functionalities (Checklist, Comments tool, Questions, and Student Content)
NOTABLE FEATURE: Checklist function allows the instructor to create a customized checklist to help students track their learning progress for a week, a semester, or a project.
Select the Add Text option from the Add Content drop-down menu. The page will reload with the Rich Text Editor allowing you to enter and format text. Please see the Best Practices for using the Rich Text Editor for more information. When you finish, click the Save button.
Adding Files from the Resources Tool
Select the Add Content Links option from the Add Content drop-down menu. You will see a pop-up window titled Add Content Link.
Click on Browse to upload and add a file from your computer to the page directly. The file will then be added to a folder in the Resources tool automatically.
Or, click on Or Select an existing resource to add an existing file from the Resources tool in your course site to the page.
When you finish, click the Save button.
Adding Links to External Resources
Select the Add Content Link option from the Add Content drop-down menu. You will see a pop-up window Add Content Link. Copy and paste the url of the external resources (websites, documents, videos, etc.) to the provided space and then click Save.
Embedding Content (PDFs, websites, and YouTube Videos) on a Page
Select the Embed content on page option from the Add Content drop-down menu. You will see a pop-up window Embed content on page. You can embed an existing file from the Resources tool or an external resource on the page.
The recommended content types for embedding are PDFs, websites, and YouTube videos. Word documents, Excel files, and Google Docs may not show up correctly.
NOTE: To embed a YouTube video, please use the YouTube Share link. Copy the URL from YouTube and paste into the Or add a URL or embed code space provided.
Adding Other Tools (Assignments, Forum Topics, and Tests & Quizzes)
The Lessons tool can incorporate assignments, forum topics, and quizzes on a page to streamline student's learning experiences. Simply select Add Assignment, Add Quiz or Add Forum Topics from the Add Content drop-down menu to incorporate these elements onto a page.
Here you will see an example of adding a forum topic.
NOTABLE FEATURE: you are now be able to link to the forum level.
NOTE: You will be able to add only one item (one assignment or one forum topic) to a page at one time.
Select the Add Subpage option from the Add Content drop-down menu. You will see a pop-up window titled Add Subpage. On the pop-up window, provide a title, choose the options, and then click Create to add that subpage.
a. The Next Page option allows you to make the subpage lead directly to the next page when clicked (as opposed to returning back to the home page of the Lessons tool)
b. The Show as button option allows the subpage link to show up like a button instead of a text link
Editing Items on a Page
When an item is added to a Lessons page, you will see an editing tool panel showing up to the right side of this item. In this editing panel, you will be able to:
a) Click the Edit button to edit settings or content of this item
b) Click the Trash can icon to delete this item
c) Click the Plus(+) button to add a new item above this one
Reordering Items on a Page
To reorder the elements on a page, click on the Reorder button on the top menu area of the page. On the next window, simply drag and drop elements to reorder them. You can also delete elements from this page by clicking on the red x.
Please read the next document "Lessons - Design" to find out more advanced features of Lessons such as customizing page layout, structuring pages, conditional release, and many more.